Re: Squid-2.6 update

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 23:56:52 +0200

tor 2006-05-18 klockan 14:27 -0300 skrev Gonzalo Arana:

> > epoll is being worked on by Adrian & Steven, but the other two is ready
> > to be merged once they have been separated out cleanly..
>
> OK, I'll leave that to them.

Now merged.

> I have the external acl grace patch ready for 2.6. Should I:
> 1) merge external-acl-fuzzy branch at sf.net's cvs,
> 2) apply it & commit to squid2 HEAD at sf.net,
> 3) or report it to bugzilla?

Either set up a new branch from squid-2.6, or submit it via squid-dev.
The latter is perhaps most suitable as it's a small feature ready for
immediate merge.

But bringing external-acl-fuzzy up to 2.6 is also a good idea for the
level discussion below.

> I've noticed the 'level' concept in squid2's branch
> external-acl-fuzzy, which is not present in squid3. I would like to
> add support for this to squid3, unless someone object.

The cache level concept unfortunately did not work out quite the way I
had hoped for and is why it has not been merged. It solves some
problems, but many still unsolved. The problem needs a little more study
before deciding on what should be done.

The main problem with the existing cache level approach is how to handle
the acl arguments.

Perhaps the solution is to simply allow format tags in the acl arguments
as well, allowing the data to be freely reordered making the cache level
concept fit much better, or a new format tag which expands into the
arguments.

Thinking about it a bit further I start to like the idea of introducing
a new format tag for the acl arguments, with a default of adding the
arguments added at the end of the request if this tag is not used in the
external_acl_type specification.