Re: gzip+squid3 code

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:47:08 -0500

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> sön 2006-08-27 klockan 17:33 -0500 skrev Joe Cooper:
>
>>Hey guys,
>>
>>Jon Kay here in Austin wrote it under contract to Swell (US
>>work-for-hire laws apply, and the contract stipulates it explicitly) so
>>I own it, and Ganzalo Arana made a few bugfixes. I'm happy to have it
>>merged into mainline Squid, and I had given Ganzalo permission to do so
>>some time ago, but I guess it never happened and I've been too busy to
>>follow up.
>

> The first steps have now been taken and the code is up on
> devel.squid-cache.org for maintenance and review.

Excellent.

I'll just add that the code did work exactly as it was supposed to, in
my testing at the time, but there remained at least one serious memory
leak (possibly others) that led to it being unusable. I believe all
crashes that I experienced running the code were attributable to this
leak. Whether there are other issues that never had a chance to exhibit
themselves is unknown to me.

Ganzalo was running it, I believe, in production, so he may actually
have fixes for the issues that I saw. I haven't been in contact with
him for some time, however, so I don't know the state of things in his
neck of the woods.

As you may know, I'm out of the Squid business for the foreseeable, so I
won't be doing anything else with the code. But I do hope it sees some
real world use.