Re: authentication and origin servers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:52:44 +0100

fre 2006-11-24 klockan 09:12 -0500 skrev Jeremy Hall:

> If I have configured authentication for both ntlm and basic so that
> legacy browsers that do not support ntlm may use my proxy, how then do I
> allow these users to connect to a site that uses basic authentication
> for their own purposes?

Forward or reverse proxy?

In HTTP there is only one set of authentication per purpose. One set of
authentication for the proxy the client uses to reach out to the
Internet, and one set of authentication for the origin server (to which
reverse proxies is included as part of the origin).

> For example I can't log into cisco.com unless I disable auth checking
> within squid. Is it maybe an IE bug?

Since you talk about cisco.com I assume this is a forward proxy.

If so then check your http_port settings to make sure you do not use any
of the accelerator mode options there.. a single accelerator mode option
and the http_port acts as an origin server.

   defaultsite
   vport
   vhost