Re: proposal: change installed default squid.conf to fit best practice.

From: Jeff Tharp <jtharp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:54:25 -0800

Folks,
As a user whose done his share of wading through the well-commented
default squid.conf, I would definitely appreciate it if there was a
minimal squid.conf (maybe sans comments, for sake of brevity) with the
fully commented squid.conf available as well for reference purposes.

Speaking of the conf file, I have often wondered if it would be possible
to allow for additional conf files to be included, ala Apache's Include
directive (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#include).
This would be handy for those of us who use Squid as a reverse proxy
server--configuration related to specific site, such as ACLs and so
forth could be broken out in per-site files for easier maintenance and
thus reduce chances that a core configuration bit would be changed by
mistake.

I looked at the source code to see if I could hack this in myself, but
how Apache reads in it's config files is very different from Squid, so I
wasn't able to do a quick and dirty hack. Still if this could be done,
I'd be most appreciative.

Jeff Tharp
System Administrator
ESRI - Redlands, CA