Re: Squid3 BodyReader changes

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:29:11 +0800

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Executive summary: I am trying to fix several bugs and complaints
> related to your favorite class, the BodyReader. The changes I would like
> to make are significant, so I decided to post them here first. Please
> see the attached BodyPipe.h sketch. I will proceed with these changes
> unless there are violent objections or better ideas. The email below
> documents my concerns and explains the rationale behind BodyPipe.

Aha!

Well, I won't pretend to understand too much here, and I don't know much
about the squid-3 codebase as it stands (still!). One thing that I think
should get quite a bit of attention for similar ref-count-related reasons
is the whole Forward class and how its changed to a refcounted type.
This also introduced a whole heap of bugs, most of which have finally been
fixed.

I think the big one to fix there is the zero-sized-reply bug which has to
do with timed out persistent connections. There's a bugzilla bug about it.
This kinda stuff is going to keep popping up until those interested in
pushing forward Squid-3 development get together and sort out what the heck
is going on with all the refcounted types.

(Personally, I think the best thing to do here is to plan out rewrites of
complete chunks of the codebase, starting in squid-3 with the client-side
code. With much more time spent in design and discusson before we slash
forward.)

Other than that, sounds good to me. I can't immediately see how it'd fit into
the current client side code as my head is stuck in storage manager stuff
for squid-2 but I'll eventually need to give the client-side a whole lot
of attention.

My 2c,

Adrian