Torrent web cache.

From: Mat Hounsell <mat_public@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 22:51:55 -0800 (PST)

I think I have an idea y'all might like. http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070202_001566.html Robert Cringely wrote about the problems ISP are facing with torrent traffic. Basically alll that traffic to the real Internet is costing them money. Thinking about I realised that it was a similar problem to images ladden sites in the 14.4K days, and still today. They solve that problem with Squid. That wonderful free open source web proxy cache. They can solve the torrent problem the same way. In fact the design of torrent makes it easier. All they have to do is intercept all get requests for application/x-bittorrent and *.torrent url. Then their torrent cache can start several torrent clients and get the file too. From then on their torrent cache can act as several seeding torrent peers. The protocol would mean most of the ISP customer's subsequent request would come from the cache. What is more, it would be simple and efficient to deploy many beige box torrent caches. I am not familiar enough with the torrent protocol, squid, or to be honest server programming to start this by myself. Interested? Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com