Re: squid3 comments

From: Tsantilas Christos <chtsanti@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:28:43 +0200

Hi Adrian,
     Thanks for your answers. As I can understand you are talking about
the squid4 project. If you want an independent opinion, I believe that
it is not good idea to start striping the squid2.
You will get again the same mistakes done at squid3. For a such project
start from ground and then thieve code (and most important knowledge)
from squid2 and squid3 (and other projects too :-) ) to make what you
wand.
Squid has a lot of parts implemented like modules (acl's,
authentication, delay pools etc) which can modified to be loadable at
runtime.
A modular system needs different configuration system, different net-IO
etc. You want to support multi-threading but squid2 does not care about
it and you have to correct a lot of thinks to support it. What parts can
you keep from a striped squid2 version?

For such work, I think the best is to start from the base server (com_*
stack?), then add the configuration system then the http/ftp protocol
then acls as modules, etc...
If the base system is quite well designed then the others developers
will be able to convert parts they made for squid2 or squid3, or just
add new code as modules without having to known the overall squid
structure/code...

Regards,
     Christos