thank you for squid3 work

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:58:42 -0700

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 21:51 +0100, Guido Serassio wrote:

> I'm very honored for this, but the results of my work on Squid 3 was
> very far from my expectations:
> my C++ knowledge is horribly low, and there was many bugs that I
> cannot resolve myself for this reason.
>
> I have always hoped than some other developer with a more strong C++
> knowledge will try to fix them, but this was never happened: all
> Squid 3 peoples seems to like more the development of new features
> instead of fixing bugs.
>
> As example: I have arranged the TPROXY forward port done by Steven in
> November, but no one of the Squid 3 supporters seems to have tested
> it giving any kind of feedback, a little disappointing ... :-(
> So, sometimes I ask to me "why I'm still wasting my time on Squid 3 ?".

Guido and Henrik,

        Thank you very much for all your Squid3 efforts! Without your work
Squid3 would not happen. I hope you feel the increased interest in and
work on Squid3 these days.

        FWIW, I am very interested in fixing core bugs. For example, I rewrote
request body handling to fix several core bugs (changes are currently in
squid3-icap). With the exception of ICAP, I cannot spend time polishing
optional features like TPROXY, but I am sure there are enough core bugs
for me :-).

        Also, with the ICAP code becoming stable, I should be able to spend
more time on core fixes.

        As for C++, if a willing person cannot understand some C++ concept in
Squid, it should probably be removed or at least well documented.
Personally, I am against hairy C++ code that only gurus can grok. For
me, most of the C++ complexity in Squid3 comes from an unfortunate blend
of C features like cbdata and C++ features like refcounting. Hopefully,
we will fix that in Squid 3.1.

Thank you,

Alex.