Re: Removing cppunit

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 23:05:52 -0600

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 14:29 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 22:02 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> >
> > That is good, but I do not think we should require it. Cppunit is a
> > developer tool. "Make check" is a user-level reassurance that the
> > package was built correctly.
>
> I think this is the root of our disagreement. 'make check' to me is not,
> and never has been a tool for users: It does give reassurance that the
> package is built correctly, but its primarily for developers. I've never
> encountered an open source piece of software yet that considered the
> primary users of 'make check' to be the end user.

Perl's CPAN is one example. A user cannot normally install a module
using CPAN or CPANPLUS tools if the module fails "make check".

> I think you should decide to either:
> - keep cppunit in the source tree
> or
> - have make check fail when its not installed.

I think that cppunit should be removed from the source tree (especially
if it is so easy to install and is not for end-users anyway). This step
should not depend on the "make check" discussion outcome.

I think others should decide whether "make check" should fail if there
is no cppunit installed.

Thank you,

Alex.