Re: Removing cppunit

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:51:12 +0200

tor 2007-04-12 klockan 23:05 -0600 skrev Alex Rousskov:

> I think that cppunit should be removed from the source tree (especially
> if it is so easy to install and is not for end-users anyway). This step
> should not depend on the "make check" discussion outcome.

We all agree I think.

> I think others should decide whether "make check" should fail if there
> is no cppunit installed.

My vote is that "make check" should depend on cppunit, at least for the
next years..

"make check" is a tool for both users and developers, but with different
purpose for the two user groups. For developers it's verifying the code,
mainly to catch silly errors when making changes beyond what the
compiler can do. To users it's a tool to verify that the compiler
compiles the code in the manner the developer intended.

With the big variety in C++ compilers out there and number of times it's
already bitten Squid-3 it should not be taken lightly.