Re: Squid 3 build error using Visual Studio

From: Tsantilas Christos <chtsanti@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:10:52 +0300

Hi Guido ,

Guido Serassio wrote:
> I have learned at university (more than 15 years ago ...) Assembler,
> Fortran, C and Pascal, but never C++. or any similar language.

Sometimes I am feeling to old to start thinks too, but Guido if you are
thinking like that now, what are we going to do after 15 years?
New technologies come again and again ...

> Now I feel really frustrated when I can't understand why a single line
> of code of Squid 3 doesn't build or why your patch works .... :-(

The major problem you may have is that c++ compilers some times return
error messages which looks completely unrelated with the real problem.

In your case it returned an error about std::basic_ostream where the
real problem is that it can not found a destructor without arguments for
 std::ostream part of StoreEntryStream objects...

(I had similar problem today morning trying to understand what the hell
means the "undefined reference to vtable for .....")

But I think as someones learns the compilers and tools which his is
using these problems disappeared ....

Regards,
    Christos