Re: Squid 3 build error using Visual Studio

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:12:57 +0200

Hi Alex,

At 18.43 13/08/2007, Alex Rousskov wrote:

>This is with the code recently synced with HEAD, right?
>
>Please try the attached untested patch. It follows the suggestions at
>the page found by Amos:
>http://www.codecomments.com/archive292-2005-2-396222.html

Yes, it works.
Thanks.

> > Thanks for the link, but, I have really understand nothing .... :-(
> > Really I hate C++ :-(
>
>Is it a good idea to hate something you do not understand? :-)

Alex, let me to explain my situation.

Principally I'm an IT consultant working (busy at 110% of my time) on
Systems Administration and Systems Deployment, while I became a Squid
developer mainly for my personal hobby.
I have learned at university (more than 15 years ago ...) Assembler,
Fortran, C and Pascal, but never C++. or any similar language.

I'm not a wizard of C language programming or a Squid guru like
Henrik, but I was always able to understand what a piece of code of
Squid 2 does.
Now I feel really frustrated when I can't understand why a single
line of code of Squid 3 doesn't build or why your patch works .... :-(
I have also tried to learn C++ by myself, but with little result
because I don't have enough time for the job.

For a while I'm asking to me if is time to look for a new maintainer
of the Windows port of Squid 3, and today I'm thinking that probably
this time is gone ... :-(

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/