Re: Squid 3 build error using Visual Studio

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:42:31 -0600

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 11:12 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:

> At 18.43 13/08/2007, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> >Is it a good idea to hate something you do not understand? :-)
>
> Alex, let me to explain my situation.
>
> Principally I'm an IT consultant working (busy at 110% of my time) on
> Systems Administration and Systems Deployment, while I became a Squid
> developer mainly for my personal hobby.
> I have learned at university (more than 15 years ago ...) Assembler,
> Fortran, C and Pascal, but never C++. or any similar language.
>
> I'm not a wizard of C language programming or a Squid guru like
> Henrik, but I was always able to understand what a piece of code of
> Squid 2 does.
> Now I feel really frustrated when I can't understand why a single
> line of code of Squid 3 doesn't build or why your patch works .... :-(
> I have also tried to learn C++ by myself, but with little result
> because I don't have enough time for the job.
>
> For a while I'm asking to me if is time to look for a new maintainer
> of the Windows port of Squid 3, and today I'm thinking that probably
> this time is gone ... :-(

I hope you can continue to maintain the Windows port. You can always
offload solving C++ puzzles to others...

The specific bug you hit is with the low-level streaming code that has
always been very difficult to write and port correctly because C++
libraries implemented low-level streaming interfaces differently.

In your case, GCC stdlibc++ has a default std::ostream constructor while
your Windows library does not, causing the compiler error. The rest is
just hacks to make the existing parameterized std::ostream constructor
work.

And if you continue to hate C++, just wait for Squid4 in Python :-).
There will be no compile-time errors then, even if half of the code is
missing!

Alex.