Re: IPv6 support and Windows

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:13:36 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi Amos,
>
> Not good news here ... :-(
>
> We have a problem:
> You have used getaddrinfo() and freeaddrinfo() functions, but on
> Windows they are available only starting from Windows XP. This means
> that your code, even if compiled without IPv6 support, cannot run on
> Windows 2000.
>
> I'm also not sure if getaddrinfo() and freeaddrinfo() functions are
> available on all systems, someone know something about ?

We have already tested Linux 2.6+ and FreeBSD 4.5+ (4.3 _says_ it has them)
Not sure about Solaris, OS2, or Darwin yet.

> I have found two interesting substitute here:

<AYJ: pulled these out of order due to my response sequence>

> http://doxygen.postgresql.org/getaddrinfo_8c-source.html
>
> I'm not sure if the licensing of the implementation coming from the
> PostgreSQL allow its usage in Squid.

PostGres looks good until I audit the code.
These are both killer bugs for us:
" Bugs: - only one addrinfo is set even though hintp is NULL or
           ai_socktype is 0
         - AI_CANONNAME is not supported.
"

> http://www.koders.com/c/fid11C8C256BE9D1C263E0725F657383F62F24759F5.aspx?s=md5

The very first line says it's a (partial) implementation which makes me
think there are edge cases missing, etc. Though a quick check of the code
I couldn't see any obvious problems or notes about killer bugs.

I'm sure there are more re-writes around, and sure enough Google
codesearch find me a clean fetchmail implementation of JUST getaddrinfo(),
freeaddrinfo() and gai_strerror().

ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/SOURCES/fetchmail-6.3.6.tar.gz&cs_f=fetchmail-6.3.6/libesmtp/getaddrinfo.c#a0

That is probably better for us being more complete in the IPv4-area. The
crunch now will be whether getnameinfo() is also that unsupported in NT/2k
?

AND its already under GNU license to FSF.

Amos