Re: squid-3 ?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:41:16 -0600

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 09:20 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 09:58 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:
> >
> >> Currently Squid is broken on all platforms without strtoll(), HP Tru64
> >> is one.
> >> I'm working on it, and I'm expecting to fix the problem and run some
> >> tests on other platforms (Irix, NetBSD and OpenBSD) within the
> >> incoming weekend.
> >
> > Sounds good, thank you.
> >
> >> I think that we must wait for two weeks to see if the latest
> >> large-objects changes are reasonably stable.
> >
> > I think we should release an RC1 snapshot now.
>
> I was a bit undecided yesterday. I kind of want to wait a short while to
> see if large-obj is stable enough, but not enough to speak up.
>
> But with strtoll as Guido said, I think its clearly too early for an RC.
> PRE7 at the end of this week I would agree with if there are no other
> majors discovered before then.
>
> As I see it a PRE is considered 'mostly usable'. But for a full RC I think
> we should be certain it actually is good quality (for some new definition
> of good ;-), I suppose).

My understanding is that the unfiled(?) strtoll bug affects only a
subset of platforms. RC1 can exclude those platforms from the supported
list.

However, if we indeed are going to have a fix this weekend and can agree
to move forward to RC1 right after that (if there are no other
showstoppers), I can live with that. There are probably some things that
we need to do in preparation for an RC snapshot anyway.

The primary idea behind RC1 is to bring in users who are ignoring PRE
releases because there were so many PREs. We need more testers than a
handful of folks running PREs on busy sites.

Alex.