Re: udp logging in 2.HEAD

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:48:03 +0800

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On m??n, 2007-09-24 at 00:23 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > * tune the udp buffer size rather than having it fixed - you could
> > in theory fire off 32k UDP packets if your receive side would
> > handle them fine. Thats ~200 logging entries each UDP packet.
>
> You could, if you like fragmented IP packets..

Thats no big deal; the big deal is if you run a lossy network your risk
of losing logentries is higher with larger packets. I've not done more
than cursory testing of this yet so I'm not sure what the impact will be
of large volumes of small UDP packets or smaller volume of larger UDP
packets are.

Chalk one up for after exams.

> > * Some debugging to indicate when things aren't going to plan.
>
> like?

Connection refused at other end; socket write errors, etc.
Just doing it every 30 seconds or so rather than on every write.

> > * Some application notes or documentation. :0
>
> You mean squid.conf notes, or something else?

Yup, and a Faq entry for it.

Adrian