Re: Squid-2 + Squid-3 roadmaps

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 22:53:38 +0800

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> > I'd like to hear from devs and interested users alike.
>
> I can only comment on Squid3 roadmap (should not the Squid2 roadmap end
> soon after with Squid3 release?).

There's still an enormous squid-2 userbase out there which still needs
to be looked after. Remember the fiasco over squid-2.5 + (lots of patches
here) which people were running just to get "modernish" features?

Squid-2 should be looked at as an oppertunity to incrementally test
features out on a very larger userbase. Squid-3 and/or its children
should be where these features end up, at least until Squid-3 matches
Squid-2 enough for people to be comfortable migrating over.

I think you're looking at a minimum 12-18 months after Squid-3 is seen as
stable enough before people migrate from Squid-2 to Squid-3. I don't see
this as any reason to cease Squid-2 development as it was practically done
after Squid-2.5 was released - we should be actively bringing in features
into Squid-2 that either have a Squid-3 counterpart (eg the IPv6 patchset
Husni has against squid-2.6) or will be eventually ported over to Squid-3.

Personally, I still plan on doing a lot of changes to Squid-2 to test out
some ideas whilst finding some time to discuss, plan and code up Squid-3
work. Squid-2 isn't going to go anywhere but if you just abandon it and
force people to Squid-3 or bust right now they -will not- migrate and
we'll just lose people to other proxy platforms. God knows we don't need
that right now.

> Looks like we have at least two Squid3 roadmaps already:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/RoadMap/Squid3
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Squid-3.1

Well, I created RoadMap/Squid3 from /Squid-3.0; I think rolling /Squid-3.1
into the Squid3 roadmap is a good idea.

> I am afraid both Squid3 roadmaps are more fantasy- than reality-based.

:)

> I have outlined my specific suggestions on how to reorganize things in
> the "v3.1 TODO and deadline" message on squid-dev. I am happy to edit
> the wiki page (which one??) to implement those suggestions, importing
> features on the current Squid3 roadmaps.

It sounds like a good idea. I'm all for what you proposed in your previous
email. I'm just hoping that we'll all agree on 3.0 -> 3.1 being a "clean
up the insides and add IPv6" release rather than adding any more sweeping
internal changes.

Adrian