Migrating to Subversion

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:43:16 -0600

Hello,

        With Squid 3.0 branching event approaching, perhaps now is a good time
to decide whether we want to switch from CVS to Subversion?

Pros:
  + Many consider svn to be "overall better" than CVS.
  + Svn supports renaming and moving files (we may want that for 3.1).
  + Svn working copy diffs are very fast (no network delays).
  + Svn handles binary files and keyword substitution better.
  + Branching and tagging is a much simpler concept in svn.
  + SorceForge svn services may be faster (I do not know that).
  + Subversion offers more remote access methods (e.g., WebDAV).

Cons:
  - Some consider svn to be "overall worse" than CVS.
  - Lossless migration is possible, but takes time/work.
  - Henrik's CVS scripts will need to be changed to support svn.
  - Some CVS veterans will hate svn branching and tagging.
  - Some svn newbies may modify tagged snapshots.
  - Some web pages and scripts accessing CVS will need to be changed.

Did I miss anything important?

Do pros outweigh the cons?

Thank you,

Alex.