Re: Migrating to Subversion

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:16:35 +0200

Hi Alex,

At 17.43 05/10/2007, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>Hello,
>
> With Squid 3.0 branching event approaching, perhaps now is
> a good time
>to decide whether we want to switch from CVS to Subversion?
>
>Pros:
> + Many consider svn to be "overall better" than CVS.
> + Svn supports renaming and moving files (we may want that for 3.1).
> + Svn working copy diffs are very fast (no network delays).
> + Svn handles binary files and keyword substitution better.
> + Branching and tagging is a much simpler concept in svn.
> + SorceForge svn services may be faster (I do not know that).
> + Subversion offers more remote access methods (e.g., WebDAV).
>
>Cons:
> - Some consider svn to be "overall worse" than CVS.
> - Lossless migration is possible, but takes time/work.
> - Henrik's CVS scripts will need to be changed to support svn.
> - Some CVS veterans will hate svn branching and tagging.
> - Some svn newbies may modify tagged snapshots.
> - Some web pages and scripts accessing CVS will need to be changed.
>
>Did I miss anything important?
>
>Do pros outweigh the cons?

I don't have the experience to compare CVS vs. svn, but I know that a
detail must be verified: on Windows, native svn client and server are
available, but there is a problem.
They are native Windows applications, so they don't run very well
into the MSYS+MinGW environment, and this is the only free native
build environment available that can be used with Squid.
In theory this should not be a problem: simply run svn from Windows
CMD prompt and build Squid from the bash shell of MSYS. But what
happens with CR+LF line terminators ?
Using CVS, files checked out from Windows CMD are in Windows format,
while files checked out from MSYS shell are in Unix format, and using
MSYS (like in Linux), when the files are in Windows format, the build
will fail.

Someone has already tried something similar on Windows ?

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/