Re: Features Page

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:10:02 +1300 (NZDT)

> On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 10:11 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
>> Talking myself into doing it that way it appears there is already a bare
>> Faetures page in the wiki. I'm getting a holistic vision now that looks
>> good at first glance:
>>
>> Alexs' RoadMaps linking to /Features/X pages for features planned.
>> This chart (at /Features) linking to /Features/X pages for features
>> done/experimental.
>
> I am working on the Features pages right now. The top Features page you
> saw was created just a few hours ago, to collect all features. I also
> moved all Squid3.1 TODO features, including your IPv6 entry into
> separate Features/* pages.

I noticed the dates just after sending that. :-)

> I wanted the list of features on the RoadMap to be generated
> automatically using feature categories, but it appears that MoinMoin
> treats categories as text not metadata, so the automated search results
> include pages that do not belong to the query categories but reference
> them :-( Perhaps it is just me though.
>
> The Roadmap page is using a manual feature listing, for now.
>
> I will keep moving and polishing things for a few more hours, at least.
> Ideally, I want to get rid of multiple roadmap-like pages and avoid
> duplication of feature information. I do not think MoinMoin will let me
> do this, but hopefully we can get close enough.

The chart is ONLY for features which are available in at least one minor
release of squid (not counting snapshots or HEAD). Others should reference
a plan/roadmap, like you are creating, of features not yet integrated.

I'm viewing it kind of like the 'Completed features' section of the devel
projects page. In fact most of those items were going to go on the chart.

There is a benefit to having both, and as manual updates.
 An automatic listing in RoadMap would require and automatic Done/TODO and
version meta data to sort the lists properly (if possible at all), which
needs manual update anyway. That will complicate things somewhat.
Or alternatively, a manual moving of the feature description page when its
not longer a TODO item.

Much easier to simply leave the feature page in place with full
description and move the link from roadmap to completed chart.

Amos