Re: Request for participation

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 00:53:52 +1300

Volkov Alexander wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm Alexander Volkov, the post-graduate student of Petrozadosk State
> University.
> I investigate web traffic using Squid's access.log and Netflow data from
> Cisco's router.
> Currently I jointly analyzing access.log and Netflow data. The reason to
> participate in the squid-dev mailinglist is to modify the Squid code for
> logging all source port for proxy's sub-requests to other proxies
> (http-requiests) and origin web-servers (http-requests). So, I would glad to
> participate in the squid-dev mailinglist.
>
> I've read some documentation about Squid, but didn't understand a thing. =)
> Where a place in the code there Squid saves data to variable "host" from
> HierarchyLogEntry class is? And where a place in the code there Squid stores
> port number to origin web request.
> I want to add some code to access_log.cc for logging that port (see
> LFT_SERVER_PORT constant in that file).
>
> Thanks very much!!

> Alexander Volkov

Hi Alexander, welcome.

The closest thing we have to any code documentation can be found here:
http://squid.treenet.co.nz/Docs/Code/

although that is still very incomplete and the rest of the details have
to be located in the source. The linking info it provides can be a big
help finding the right spots in source.

Amos

Big P.S. to anyone lurking here with enough spare time to read code, but
not write. I need people to add comments about each function/class that
hasn't already been dox'd.
The 'docs' branch could do with a few hundred more hands.