Re: caching "dynamic" content

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:28:36 +0900

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007, Duane Wessels wrote:

> >What about default refresh_pattern to not cache cgi-bin and/or ? URLs?
>
> I assume you mean to always refresh (validate) cgi-bin and/or ?

Ideally I'd like to cache cgi-bin / ? content if cache information is
given (max-age, Expires, etc; henrik knows more about the options than
I!) and not cache the rest.

I'm not sure my current refresh patterns handle this:

refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern cgi-bin 0 0% 0
refresh_pattern \? 0 0% 0
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320

> Because if you don't want them to be cached then the 'cache' access
> list is the place to do that.
>
> yes, I could support default refresh_pattern lines for ? and cgi-bin,
> and then remove the default 'cache' rules I suppose.

Will what I've done above actually stop storing the data entirely, or will
it try revalidating it every request? Is there really a difference?

> While we're at it we could probably also get rid of the silly gopher
> refresh_pattern line.

:)

Adrian