Re: VCS for squid3 development?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:52:52 +1100

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 04:18 +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On tor, 2007-12-20 at 22:48 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

> > What I am interested in is:
> > - If someone puts the effort in to perform a migration of data and
> > scripts (I'm offering to do this during my christmas break), whats the
> > feeling on moving?
>
> Very welcome.

Cool.

> > - What does each of you individually need to consider moving to bzr for
> > squid 3 trunk development? [what infrastructure do I need to port or
> > replace, etc etc].
>
> There isn't very much infrastructure that needs porting, beyond getthing
> the new VCS server components and configuration up and running,.

Do I have sufficient access to do this? I'm not a BSD afficiondo anyhow,
so perhaps its best if I say 'install the bzr port' as long as its at
version 1.0 now. (If its not we can just install by hand). Same for
loggerhead which a trivial apache redirect can feed requests to. I'll
get details for that together in a bit.

> - the snapshot scripts need a little update to use the right tools for
> checking out the source tree.

The ones in the source tree itself? Otherwise point me at them, I'll
update them.

> - the release scripts as well

Ditto.

> - the rest is maninly a handful recipes on how to do common tasks needed
> for Squid development.

Right. Lets list them:
 - generate a patch for a commit
 - get a mirror of the development source to hack on
 - make a new branch to hack on
 - commit something which has been developed back to trunk
 - cherry pick something back to an older release using CVS
 - cherry pick something back to an older release using bzr.
 - others ?

> Most of the other VCS related "infrastructure" we have is just to work
> around the shortcomings of CVS.

Like the list of patches? We'll want to run a web gui up - I suggest
loggerhead.

> But some script to mirror HEAD and STABLE branches into CVS while
> keeping the CVS structure of things would be nice in order to continue
> serving reasonable anoncvs read-only access. Not a requirement however.

I'd *prefer* to set an expectation about a switchover time and switch &
disable the CVS mirrors; because the higher fidelity of a VCS that does
renames etc makes correct mirroring into CVS really annoying.

-Rob