Re: VCS for squid3 development?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:42:47 +1100

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 08:25 +0900, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> I've been following the VCS debate a little.
>
> Guys, I'm not an enormous fan of CVS, but what we have works

*badly*. 150 emails when autoconf changes are made for instance.

> , and
> I think we have bigger things to work on right now than a VCS migration.

We all scratch our own itches. I'm not proposing to change the squid 2.x
series VCS, and AIUI you're largely ignoring squid 3.1, so you'll be
able to pretty much ignore this.

> Unless someone can show how we'll improve productivity

offline work
clearer commit emails
easier branch management
etc - the DVCS benefits are well documented now and I'm not about to
regurgitate the full argument here.

> or bring
> on board more developers

Better toolchain -> less headaches when developing -> easier to
contribute

> to work on Squid then I don't think
> changing VCSes before we start on a new codebase is a great idea.

We've tried starting a new codebase before, abysmal failure. And we have
no more resources now than then. Incrementally fixing things is a solid
strategy - squid 3.x has fixed one thing (language limits of C are now
gone), and other things are now being fixed (e.g. Alex's async call
stuff).

I've setup a wiki page http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Squid3VCS to track
the stuff I do on this.

-Rob