Squid-3 and large response headers

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 03:47:33 +0100

Squid-3 has lots of problems with response headers >4KB. (Bug #2001)

3.0.STABLE "hangs" and stops reading the response. Cleared by abort or
timeout only.

3.HEAD at least grows it's header receive buffer and continues to read
the data and feed the response down the chain, but this then triggers
problems in other areas including an assertion failure..

Best would be if we could stop sending the response headers completely
within the data stream and only parse it once, but that's possibly a
little too big change for 3.0 and more a 3.1 target.

What I am mostly wondering is how do the buffering work with ICAP? Lets
say there is a 64KB response header. What buffers would need to be
adjusted to make this fit?

I already know the "client_side" is a big mess with 4KB hardcoded little
everywhere, but it's till familiar enough to unwind. But the data flows
in the ICAP Part is still a bit of unchartered land for me..