Re: Windows "STABLE" branches on squid-cache.org

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:12:13 +0100

Hi,

At 23:09 07/01/2008, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 20:56 +0100, Guido Serassio wrote:
>

>The above seem to be unrelated to Squid code itself. It sounds like you
>need to maintain a set of Visual Studio-specific files such as a static
>autoconf.h, project files, and .cmd scripts. These files can be
>maintained independently from Squid source tree (e.g., like Squid web
>site is maintained now). Am I missing some big reasons why you want to
>branch Squid code to maintain Visual Studio builds?
>
>Please note that I am not arguing against these new branches, just
>trying to understand why they are needed...

Speed in the binary release process is the main reason: after the
generation of the SQUID_NT_2_6 branch I was able to build the full
set of binaries using an automated process in few minutes.

Currently my weekly mean time available for Squid deployment is 2 - 3 hours.
All my customers using Squid are using 2.6, and of course they are at
first place in my todo list.
The result of this is that Squid 3 HEAD doesn't start on my Windows
development machine since 6 -7 months, because every time when I have
some time to work on it, there is something changed from everyone to arrange.
So there is the need of a "STABLE" Windows branch to work on it.

My goal is to have a reliable version of Squid 3.0 STABLE running on
Windows, so I need these branches to help my work.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/