TCP_MISS and NONE/-

From: Bernhard Schmidt <berni@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 04:44:12 +0100

Hello,

I just tried to run some stats on my shiny Squid 3.HEAD-CVS IPv6 thing
which, thanks mainly to Amos, is starting to become really usable, and
found an odd entry in the access.log that I don't recall seeing in
earlier versions (but I was no heavy Squid user until it became
IPv6-enabled).

1200195064.990 2797 2001:1b10:100:3::1:2 TCP_MISS/200 4945640 GET http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2 - NONE/- text/plain

This is a debian box getting its updates through this proxy from
http://mirror.switch.ch. According to that log entry it was not in the
cache (TCP_MISS) and thus transferred almost 5 megabytes in 2.8 seconds,
which is about the speed I'm used to see here from that server.

Although, why does it say NONE/- instead of printing the server it
fetched the data from? This is only happening occasionally, the whole
update looks like this.

1200195061.914 328 2001:1b10:100:3::1:2 TCP_MISS/200 514 GET http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/debian/dists/testing/Release.gpg - DIRECT/2001:620:0:8:203:baff:fe52:38e6 text/plain
1200195062.144 229 2001:1b10:100:3::1:2 TCP_REFRESH_MODIFIED/200 68881 GET http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/debian/dists/testing/Release - NONE/- text/plain
1200195064.990 2797 2001:1b10:100:3::1:2 TCP_MISS/200 4945640 GET http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2 - NONE/- text/plain

I can't really see any difference between the first and the third line.
Can anyone shed some light on when Squid logs NONE/- instead of
DIRECT/<ipaddress>? I have 20k lines with "TCP/MISS ... NONE" and 16k
lines with "TCP/MISS ... DIRECT" and I fail to find the difference,
although for example that Packages.bz2 has always been NONE.

Thanks,
Bernhard