Re: integrating husni's ipv6 patch into squid-2

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:11:55 +0900

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> You begin to see why I threw out all the initial attempts at IPv6 C-styles.

Heh.

> Xuan and Rafael spent 4 months on trying squid-3 C-style and never got far
> beyond the step-1 you are suggesting starting at.

Well, if Step-1 is done and the code is better structured for it, then
lets roll it into Squid-2.HEAD. We don't need to include a massive changeset
that implements "IPv6" if its such a monumental task.

> You don't mention the SNMP extension issues, external helper issues,
> transparency and v6-port TOC issues, bridging issues, pooling issues
> (which 3 still has!), FTP extensions, v4-mapped-v6 issues in v4-only
> components. There are a LOT of things IPv6 needs to match IPv4 support in
> squid.

Oh yes, I know. But not a lot of those are required for website acceleration
and thats probably a good place to start.:w

> You could poach many of them from -3 I suppose, but to back-port it to
> sockaddr castings would be more work than it took me to write in the first
> place.

Well, the way it looks at the moment, it'd be better to do somewhat what
you've done - create a new opaque type and have a set of functions which
replace the functionality they currently offer.

Adrian