Re: squid-3.HEAD IPAddress leak

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:20:26 +0900

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> Correction: I did have online source that were somewhat confusing but
> explained the behaviour a little. This seems to be saying what I
> remember, http://www.kame.net/newsletter/19980604/

Today's rant:

The C standard libraries after about 1995 weren't focusing on
performance. The non-"n" string library functions are pretty well
optimised for NULL strings.

Don't model stuff on the C standard libraries if you want anything
performance critical. And don't use C standard library calls if you
want anything to run fast.

Case in point: argh don't use *scanf and *printf in the critical path..
You haven't done that, but thats dotted all throughout the Squid codebase
and its really freaking irritating. Half the speedups in 2.6/2.7 were
me going through and slowly replacing all the stdio calls in -socket-
code.

adrian