Re: Time for squid 3.0 STABLE2 ?

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:22:20 +0100

ons 2008-02-20 klockan 12:04 +1300 skrev Amos Jeffries:

> Henrik:
> It was suggested I ask you about how-to for editing the changesets.
> Seeing as I have stood up for 3.1 maintainer, I think I might get have
> some practice on 3.0.

There is no editing, just classification & grouping. It's all done using
symbolic links today.

<changeset>.group links to the main changeset of the group (or self if
a lone patch)

<mainchangeset>.nomerge marks a group as not suitable to be backported

<mainchangeset>.merged links to the backported changeset

To main work place to view as maintainer is changesets/merge.html of the
prior branch (i.e. HEAD for 3.0 until 3.1 is branched)

the changesets there marked with a ? there has not been
grouped/classified yet.

Workflow is to

1. Process the ? changesets bottom up, adding .group and .nomerge links
where obvious.

2. Take a second pass over the patches and add more .nomerge links on
things where there is doubt if it should be backported.

3. Apply the ones which apply cleanly. Don't forget to add an Author:
line giving proper attribution, and copy the log message verbatim. Also
help if the original changeset number is mentioned.

4. Ask to have the tricky ones backported.

5. Ask for backport votes on the stuff you aren't certain on.

There is al long term goal to make this a little friendlier, but it's
not given a very high priority, especially together with the VCS
discussions... And when you get used to the symbolic links it's not so
bad..