Re: 3.0.STABLE2 patch candidates

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:13:23 +0100

tis 2008-02-26 klockan 01:08 +0100 skrev Henrik Nordström:
> tis 2008-02-26 klockan 13:01 +1300 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>
> > Henrik:
> > is there something special to do with individual patches not to be
> > merged from a group of patches which as a whole are?
> > The include directive group which I have just done had 3 in the middle
> > which you may recall fixing-removing strtok_r usage.
> > For now I have made them a seperate group not-merged and gone straight
> > past to your strwordtok fix.
>
> I usually merge groups of related HEAD patches in one single commit on
> the STABLE branch. This question gets a lot easier then as it's the
> whole patch group that was merged, not the individual incremental
> steps.. and this also simplifies release maintenance of the STABLE
> branch as there is less patches to read up on when updating changelogs,
> release notes etc.

Forgot.. splitting the groups to move out changes which has been backed
out is not a good idea as you then easily loose context on why these was
added and then backed out. Causes more work later in the initial
maintenance of the next cycle.

Also in some cases it's not so easy to separate "bad & redone" things
from the good in a specific subproject. Therefore merging them all
together is highly preferable unless there is good reasons to have them
split on the STABLE branch as well.