Re: What's in the NT branch

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 10:57:58 +0100

Hi Alex & Henrik,

At 18:40 25/02/2008, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 21:26 +0100, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> > Guido,
> >
> > what's actually in the NT branch today? Is it only the "makefiles", or
> > is there any actual source changes which should not be merged to the
> > main branch?
> >
> > If it's only the "makefiles" then I propose those are stored in the main
> > branch (HEAD and SQUID_3_0) directly
> >
> > Looking at a diff...
> >
> > port directory tree with "makefiles" [generally OK]

This is very critical on the side of the DOS/Unix
text format: Visual Studio doesn't work with Unix text files.
Usually I commit the files on this directory only from Windows machines.

> > lib/getopt.c. Copy from NetBSD with a license incompatible with GPL.

Right, someone could provide a GPL version ?

> > port/win32/src/encrypt.c. 56 bit DES encryption. Still under export
> > control in some regoins of the world, but not really a problem. Could be
> > in lib/ to support other platforms without crypt().

As I know, it's missing only on Visual Studio.

> > port/win32/src/readdir.c. Unknown copyright or license.

This is also unknown to me.

> > I don't see a good reason why the port tree cannot be in the main
> > branch, except for the trivial reservations above...
>
>FWIW, I asked Guido a related question and made a similar "sore in the
>main branch" suggestion a few months(?) ago. At that time, Guido was
>positive he needs Windows-specific branches; he explained why he thought
>so. Please try to find that thread in the squid-dev archive for more
>info so that Guido does not have to repeat himself.

Just discovered another reason to maintain a
separate 3.0 STABLE NT branch: currently STABLE
3.0 doesn't work on Windows, so this the only
STABLE based branch where to develop and test the needed changes.

Regarding to Squid 2, if in the future there is
no plan for intrusive changes on the IPC/FD side
that could affect the Windows port, a merge into
a single branch could be considered.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/