Re: What's in the NT branch

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:43:18 +0100

Hi Henrik,,

At 21:52 09/03/2008, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 10:57 +0100, Guido Serassio wrote:
> > This is very critical on the side of the DOS/Unix
> > text format: Visual Studio doesn't work with Unix text files.
> > Usually I commit the files on this directory only from Windows machines.
>
>Thats easy to deal with, in fact most likely not really an issue unless
>you do a checkout from a different environment than you build..

Sometime I have seen strange things with Windows files changing
unexpectedly the text file format even on the same platform, I hope
that bzr will be better.

> > > lib/getopt.c. Copy from NetBSD with a license incompatible with GPL.
> >
> > Right, someone could provide a GPL version ?
>
>One from either
>- FreeBSD
>- uclibc
>- glibc
>- or a number of other projects
>should be fine.. but I suspect the glibc one has to much of
>dependencies..
>
>BSD / GPL / Public Domain

OK, I will take a look for another version.

> problem. Could be
> >
> > As I know, it's missing only on Visual Studio.
>
>I can imagine it missing on may other platforms as well.. it's no longer
>considered a good pasword hashing method.

OK.

> > This is also unknown to me.
>
>Not good. From where did you get it?

This file comes from the original work of Romeo Anghelache.
After some search, I have found the original one from Apache 1.3:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/branches/1.3.x/src/os/win32/readdir.c?view=markup
If I remember right, the Apache License is not good for Squid.

> > Just discovered another reason to maintain a
> > separate 3.0 STABLE NT branch: currently STABLE
> > 3.0 doesn't work on Windows, so this the only
> > STABLE based branch where to develop and test the needed changes.
>
>Not convinced this is a reason. If you need to make changes for Windows
>then it's best if these changes is done in a way which fits all..
>
>And having code, even if Windows specific, in the windows branch is a
>very bad thing as it makes it a lot harder for the project to audit the
>codebase.

My final intention is to have all the code changes merged into
STABLE/HEAD, but currently Squid 3.0 doesn't work at all on native
Windows, so some heavy and separated development work is still need
to fix all problems before any merge.
If this first step will be successful, and I'm not so sure about this
positive result ...., then there will the IPv6 on Windows challenge ...

> > Regarding to Squid 2, if in the future there is
> > no plan for intrusive changes on the IPC/FD side
> > that could affect the Windows port, a merge into
> > a single branch could be considered.
>
>Who knows. But I don't see the windows port so special in that regard.
>We already have differences between many platforms. Sure, Windows is a
>little more different, but not very much.

I think that a more appropriate attribute for the Windows port is too
easily broken ... :-(
It's a very acrobatic piece of code .... :-)

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/