Re: What's in the NT branch

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:59:53 +0100

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 22:43 +0100, Guido Serassio wrote:

> This file comes from the original work of Romeo Anghelache.
> After some search, I have found the original one from Apache 1.3:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/branches/1.3.x/src/os/win32/readdir.c?view=markup
> If I remember right, the Apache License is not good for Squid.

Correct. The Apache license is GPL incompatible due to minor stupid
things, but still incompatible.

> My final intention is to have all the code changes merged into
> STABLE/HEAD, but currently Squid 3.0 doesn't work at all on native
> Windows, so some heavy and separated development work is still need
> to fix all problems before any merge.

That's fine. Such work should be done in a short lived development
branch, and then merged upstream when it builds and runs, before the
Windows release.

> If this first step will be successful, and I'm not so sure about this
> positive result ...., then there will the IPv6 on Windows challenge ...

IPv6 on Windows is the same as above, but probably with more frequent
merges to trunk.

> I think that a more appropriate attribute for the Windows port is too
> easily broken ... :-(
> It's a very acrobatic piece of code .... :-)

I don't see how keeping a separate port branch helps that... it's more
of a sign that something needs redesign to support windows better.

What aspect of Windows do you see as the most fragile part?
- integrity of tha build/make/project files?
- the socket/filedescriptor emulation?
- rename of open files
- windows specific support features (i.e. service code, dns registry
glue etc)
- something else forgoten in the list above