Re: tcp proxy hackery

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 23:21:34 +0900

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> I'm able to push this to about 5000 req/sec, 8000 concurrent client connections
> (so 16,000 concurrent TCP connections on the proxy) @ ~ 335mbit full-duplex on my
> test setup. I'm not maxing out anything yet as my thttpd opteron server is
> running at full steam.

.. I've bought another box to run thttpd on and I've maxed out the tcp proxy
box when hitting it with small connections. Its a FreeBSD problem - their locking
stuff doesn't scale well under very high connection creation/destruction rates.

http://www.creative.net.au/diffs/test1-340.tar.gz

It maxes out on my kit at the above speed; but at 32k replies it hits 3100 req/sec
and close to a gigabit. I'll whack a recent linux distro+kernel on the test boxes
in a few days and see how it compares.

Adrian