Re: [squid-core] v3 roadmap

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:15:34 +1300

Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 00:25 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking forward a few weeks to 3.0.STABLE3 by march 31st
>>
>> Great!
>>
>>> Possibly even a 3.1.DEVEL0 at the same time.
>>
>> This should probably be discussed on squid-dev, but there are currently
>> several projects on the TODO list that may not be committed until March
>> 31st. There is even a project with unknown ETA, which is a violation of
>> the TODO list definition!
>>
>> Also, what about the /Features/SourceLayout cleanup project? Should that
>> wait for 3.2?
>>
>> Finally, if we have the resources to include a few missing Squid2
>> features into Squid3, should v3.1 wait for that?
>
> Our initial agreed time-plan called for an initial release around 31
> March. I was thinking PRE at that time, but as Henrik suggested there is
> DEVEL for feature-incomplete releases to keep things relatively to plan.
>
> Hopefully we can ge the PRE1 out sooner, but any release of the for
> wider testing on time is better than long delays.
>
> For the unknown, thats fixed. I'm sponsoring it. But have not heard back
> from Adrian whether he wants to take the money and do it to be added to -3.
>
> Amos

Oops, meat to do the squid-dev move on that.

As for the cleanup...

.h cleanup:
  - going in next time I have a spare minute to check for tweaks.

The file re-arranging polish:
  - I'm kind of in favour of it as a pure file-movements-only
alteration. 3.2 has no feature-requests yet and back-porting across a
file-re-arranged setup is likely to be more trouble than its worth.
  - If you think you can get it done in a reasonable timespan to get
done by the RC releases great. I don't think the PRE need to wait for
it, its polish after all not a true feature.
  - It is your baby though.

If you have the resources to move a few 2.6 features to 3.1 they should
be timelined by 31 March or officially shifted to 3.2 pending later
re-evaluation. Yes?
  - I've added the LogDaemon as one such, I can do at a pinch.

Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+