Re: Features/SourceLayout

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:50:41 -0600

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 10:29 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Alex Rousskov wrote:
> >> The following page has been changed by Amos Jeffries:
> >> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SourceLayout?action=diff&rev2=9&rev1=8
> >
> > Original:
> >
> >> Question: Can we remove Foo prefix from FOO/!FooSomething.h file
> >> names? The prefix carries no additional information and is probably
> >> not required for modern compilers, especially in C++ world.
> >>
> >> Answer: File name should match the primary class declared or defined
> >> in that file. Directory name should match the namespace used by
> >> classes in that directory. We should move from PROTOFoo to PROTO::Foo
> >> classes.
> >
> > Added to Answer:
> >
> >> Some systemic problems have been found cleaning filenames like this
> >> with compiler include methods.
> >
> > Amos,
> >
> > Please clarify what you meant. What systemic problems and with what
> > kind of filenames? Is this about the case of "proto", the directory
> > name? We have agreed that directories will use low_case, for Windows
> > sake, right?
> >

> I was referring to the g++ "foo.h foo.h -I./src/Module -I./src" problem
> Robert pointed out following that windows talk.
> IMO the windows case-sensitivity can be worked around, but the -I
> problem is a big one.

Do you see a flaw in my response to that Robert's email? I have said
that Robert's example will not be applicable to Squid sources: All
module files will include using the "module/file.h" pattern and not the
current "file.h" pattern. We are going to use -I src/ and never -I
src/module/.

I do not recall objections from Robert or others. Did I miss them? Are
there any problems with that approach?

Thanks,

Alex.