Re: Trying to start using bzr

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:37:04 -0600

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 17:10 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:

> - What are the branches currently available ? I need to work on old
> SQUID-3_0 and SQUID_NT_3.0
> - I don't know at all the bzr architecture, so what is the bzr
> procedure equivalent to CVS checkout/update/commit ?

My understanding is that no CVS branches other than trunk and
squid3-ecap have been ported or moved to bzr. The decision to move is up
to the branch maintainer.

You can see some bzr branches at
https://code.launchpad.net/squid/+branches but, I am guessing, the
official centralized list will be placed somewhere on the wiki,
replacing http://devel.squid-cache.org/projects.html.

> I think that the
> main Squid 3 repository is not the better place to do some bzr
> experiment .....

I am not sure what you mean, but if you are talking about Squid3
branches, then you can continue to use CVS for the branches you
maintain. My understanding is that nobody forces developers to migrate
to bzr, and that the CVS HEAD is kept in sync with the bzr trunk. Robert
or Henrik will correct me if I am wrong, especially regarding the
synchronization.

I have just started using bzr this month. Based on that very limited
experience, I would recommend to stay away from it unless you can
tolerate many little problems and lack of documentation. The primary
reason I am using it is to move version-controlled files. The secondary
reason is to stress-test the instructions/infrastructure so that other,
more fortunate, developers have fewer problems when they start migrating
to bzr.

HTH,

Alex.