Benchmarking Squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:17:41 +1200 (NZST)

I've been giving the benchmarking a little more though over the last few
days.

The proposal from way back was to build a library of benchmarking results
IIRC. We have some responses from people, but I have not seen anything
like organisation or presentation of it.

We need to publish some basic benchmarking configurations. Adrian has
spoken before of his specific configs to stress certain parts of squid.
Things like that which we can say to people "do this and let us know the
results"

When we have those benchmarking instructions ready we are going to need
some feedback on the results. What details are needed to make useful
graphs/tables etc of the results?
 - which benchmarking config was used
 - squid version
 - OS + Kernel
 - CPU speed
 - RAM
 - HDD speed + type?
 - NIC speed
anything else?
and what metrics should things be measured in? req per sec per CPU-MHz by OS?

Amos