Re: Benchmarking Squid

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:37:40 -0600

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 14:17 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> I've been giving the benchmarking a little more though over the last few
> days.
>
> The proposal from way back was to build a library of benchmarking results
> IIRC. We have some responses from people, but I have not seen anything
> like organisation or presentation of it.
>
> We need to publish some basic benchmarking configurations. Adrian has
> spoken before of his specific configs to stress certain parts of squid.
> Things like that which we can say to people "do this and let us know the
> results"
>
> When we have those benchmarking instructions ready we are going to need
> some feedback on the results. What details are needed to make useful
> graphs/tables etc of the results?
> - which benchmarking config was used
> - squid version
> - OS + Kernel
> - CPU speed
> - RAM
> - HDD speed + type?
> - NIC speed
> anything else?
> and what metrics should things be measured in? req per sec per CPU-MHz by OS?

FWIW, I am making [slow] progress towards the "standardized" setup which
we can use to benchmark Squid and publish the results. I hope to start
publishing in May.

A part of that work is preparing a set of modern workloads that folks
can use to submit more numbers. In my experience it is difficult to get
reliable/meaningful numbers so I am not very optimistic about collecting
quality public data (unfortunately), but I think we should still try.

The metrics depend on the workload, but in general you need at least
rate/throughput, response time, hit ratio (if caching), and errors. No
single metric is meaningful. You can optimize one and "freeze" others at
reasonable levels and workload often do that.

HTH,

Alex.