Re: maximum_object_size_in_memory default

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 13:53:17 -0600

On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 00:02 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> The recent squid-users request made me check the documentation for
> maximum_object_size_in_memory. I realised that in RAM-only caches it
> would limit the max-size of all files.
>
> Given that RAM-cache is now the backup default method. And the default
> size for maximum_object_size_in_memory is currently 8KB, it would be a
> drag for RAM-caching setups.
>
> Votes on raising that to at least 64KB to make RAM-caches reasonable
> HIT-able?
>
> 128KB?

With 8MB default value for cache_mem, memory cache is probably a poor
backup regardless for the maximum_object_size_in_memory and smaller
object size values are better when the cache size is so small.

Perhaps maximum_object_size_in_memory default should be computed based
on cache_mem? We could try to set maximum_object_size_in_memory to cache
10,000 objects, with 8KB minimum and 64KB maximum, for example.

HTH,

Alex.
P.S. It would be nice to update cache_mem docs to point to
maximum_object_size_in_memory.