Re: status of internal redirectors?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 03:01:22 +0200

On fre, 2008-05-09 at 10:23 +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Yes, assuming that a) I'm running squid-3, and b) I'm willing to go
> through the pain of running an ICAP server, writing the plugin, etc.
> etc. etc.
>
> Neither is true.

Running an ICAP and writing the needed rules for it is not much more
pain than making a custom url rewriter program. There is reasonably good
ICAP frameworks available, and in both cases do you need to write the
plugin part which performs the needed logic..

In terms of performance ICAP is not far behind the old redirector
interface before the concurrent/overlapping requests modification of the
protocol, which still is the Squid helper protocol used by most..

> The external ACL helper has access to arbitrary request headers; why
> can't the rewriter?

Because it's not implemented?