Re: status of internal redirectors?

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 11:26:16 +1000

On 09/05/2008, at 11:01 AM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On fre, 2008-05-09 at 10:23 +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> Yes, assuming that a) I'm running squid-3, and b) I'm willing to go
>> through the pain of running an ICAP server, writing the plugin, etc.
>> etc. etc.
>>
>> Neither is true.
>
> Running an ICAP and writing the needed rules for it is not much more
> pain than making a custom url rewriter program. There is reasonably
> good
> ICAP frameworks available, and in both cases do you need to write the
> plugin part which performs the needed logic..
>
> In terms of performance ICAP is not far behind the old redirector
> interface before the concurrent/overlapping requests modification of
> the
> protocol, which still is the Squid helper protocol used by most..

Not me *grin*

>> The external ACL helper has access to arbitrary request headers; why
>> can't the rewriter?
>
> Because it's not implemented?

*grumble*

 From my standpoint, ICAP isn't implemented, and the barrier to
getting there is much higher than adding an option to rewrite_program.

I don't want to loop around to the whole 2 vs 3 question and thereby
feed the trolls, but it's not an option for me at this point. Even
when it is, I think there's a place for helpers like the rewriter;
sending the entire request through does not work in some deployments,
and debugging ICAP is a whole different kettle of fish.

--
Mark Nottingham       mnot@yahoo-inc.com