Re: Problems with Limecast Server

From: Sven Köhler <skoehler_at_upb.de>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 21:42:58 +0200

>> So actually, the mp3stream is found and played by my mp3-players. Yet,
>> mp3 stream has hearable errors in it. Is it possible, that there is
>> data-loss or that data gets modified somehow?
>> Is there some transformation of the data taking place during the HTTP
>> 0.9 to HTTP 1.x transformation?
>
> There is no transformation of the data as such, just a HTTP header
> added.
>
> But the day we get to HTTP/1.1 there will be differences in the data
> stream due to chunked encoding being used to frame the data (for
> HTTP/1.1 clients)

OK, that chunked-encoding etc. would be expected.

But at the moment, i'm completely irritated.
When i run a "wget http://streamserver" first, and then play the file
with mplayer, everything sounds OK.
But when i run "mplayer http://streamserver", then the mp3 errors occur,
and the playback is broken. There is some very strange thing going on here!

But in contrary to Adrian, i don't think that this is a IO scheduling or
real-time problem. The mp3stream is seriously broken - the playback is
not only paused, because data hasn't arrived in time - the mp3stream is
full of damaged mp3 frames, as the error messages by mplayer indicate.

I will further investigate in June.