Re: Squid, events, and file descriptors

From: Bradley Kite <bradley.kite_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:10:35 +0100

On 25/06/2008, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> On ons, 2008-06-25 at 12:30 +0100, Bradley Kite wrote:
> > I dont know the code that well but if the entry is not in the ipcache,
> > then how can idnsCachedLookup return true?
>

> This happens if there is already a pending matching pending DNS lookup.
> The idns cache is a cache of pending DNS lookups, not their results
> (there is no results yet...). idnsCachedLookup then joins this request
> to the already pending lookup.
>
> We should probably add a cachemgr page showing the pending DNS lookups,
> their wait time, number of retransmissions etc...
>
> Regards
>
> Henrik

Hi Henrik,

This server had traffic disabled for at least 30 minutes, so any
"pending" DNS lookups should have definitely failed/timed-out by the
time I got the debug.

Maybe its possible that somehow these DNS lookups are getting "stuck"
- ie squid fails to detect the DNS responses, and so it waits
indefinitely for the DNS response (and stops sending subsequent
requests as it believes the requests are still pending).

Is there any further debug/info that can help pinpoint this further? I
really appreciate the time and effort you're giving me to help resolve
this.

Many thanks

--
Brad.