Re: bzr on Windows

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:29:54 +0200

Hi,

At 09.09 26/06/2008, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 08:42 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:
> >
> > The reality is that Squid is the the FIRST multiplatform open source
> > project adopting bzr
>
>You're wrong here.
>
> > , and the result was that bzr adoption broke the
> > Squid Windows development, nothing else.
> >
> > I'm suspecting that Canonical have pushed for bzr adoption in Squid
> > project, so they now can say "hey, there are big open source projects
> > like Squid using bzr as VCS".
>
>Well, if that was the case, surely squid would be on
>http://bazaar-vcs.org/WhoUsesBzr as an important big example. It's not -
>because the migration has issues such as we're discussing here. There
>are projects much larger than squid already happily using bzr on
>windows.
>
>I'm really sorry that none of the existing workarounds suited you, the
>whole migration thing was done with huge amounts of warning, me asking
>*repeatedly* for feedback and not getting any from you until extremely
>late in the piece. I'd need to check but I think you actually reported
>the issue *after* we'd cut over. Perhaps we should have cut back over
>right then, and in fact its not too late to cut back even now if we
>decide to.

Please Robert, be serious.
Do you are the "bzr ambassador" and I hold your competency in great
esteem. If you say "it works on Windows", I trust you, and I think
that verify your words could be a waste of time.

For our problem there are no suitable workaround, and this isn't a
new bzr problem, but it's known since 2005.

And about my too late feedback: I don't live for Squid, so when
I'have the time I can work on it.

But don't worry about to cut back:
Before bzr we miss a C++ Windows Developer, now we miss also the Windows VCS.
So the bzr problem is only the finishing stroke to the Windows port
of Squid 3: IMHO for now this project should be considered dead.
I will work on the Windows port of Squid-2 during its lifetime (if it
will not migrate to an another broken VCS) and on "standard" Squid-3.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/