Re: bzr on Windows

From: Robert Collins <robertc_at_robertcollins.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:23:34 +1000

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 11:29 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:

> >I'm really sorry that none of the existing workarounds suited you,
> the
> >whole migration thing was done with huge amounts of warning, me
> asking
> >*repeatedly* for feedback and not getting any from you until
> extremely
> >late in the piece. I'd need to check but I think you actually
> reported
> >the issue *after* we'd cut over. Perhaps we should have cut back over
> >right then, and in fact its not too late to cut back even now if we
> >decide to.
>
> Please Robert, be serious.
> Do you are the "bzr ambassador" and I hold your competency in great
> esteem. If you say "it works on Windows", I trust you, and I think
> that verify your words could be a waste of time.
>
> For our problem there are no suitable workaround, and this isn't a
> new bzr problem, but it's known since 2005.
>
> And about my too late feedback: I don't live for Squid, so when
> I'have the time I can work on it.
>
> But don't worry about to cut back:
> Before bzr we miss a C++ Windows Developer, now we miss also the
> Windows VCS.
> So the bzr problem is only the finishing stroke to the Windows port
> of Squid 3: IMHO for now this project should be considered dead.
> I will work on the Windows port of Squid-2 during its lifetime (if it
> will not migrate to an another broken VCS) and on "standard" Squid-3.

I am being totally serious; I honestly thought that for our needs the
windows support as it was would be fine; I wasn't asking people to test
and make sure it worked for the hell of it, I was asking because in any
migration things can be overlooked or forgotten.

anyhow, for now, sure - I will let you know when line ending support is
available for bzr.

-Rob