Re: Announcing branch: cachemgr-refactoring

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 19:34:49 +0800

2008/7/4 Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>:

>> access for all of the SNMP exported data. Then all of the existing
>> cachemgr information could be represented in this fashion and your
>> HTTP frontends can use that.
>
> Agreed. This is however probably for the 3.3 or 3.4 timeframe, unless
> someone else steps in and lends a hand.

What I'm suggesting is that cachemgr can just be left as-is and work
can be done on something new and better.

The end-goal is "better web management/reporting tools for squid."
Modifying cachemgr to support your infrastructure is a good idea, but
if you start -using- it then you end up having to keep your
modifications around for multiple versions. Its possible that you'll
end up having to maintain your new cachemgr modifications in-tree,
even if something is better, to support your web tools, earlier
versions of the web tools, derivatives and such.

What I'm suggesting is just bypasing all of that - leave cachemgr
alone and think how it could be done better with a little more effort,
rather than potentially creating more stuff to support. Your end goal
is much more important than the individual steps are.

Adrian