Re: Announcing branch: cachemgr-refactoring

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:41:53 +0200

On fre, 2008-07-04 at 11:50 +0200, Kinkie wrote:

> I agree. Maybe even more structure and data can be shown than what's
> in SNMP, and that's exactly the kind of things I'd like to think
> about.

If you find something missig in the SNMP agent mib it should be added.
Quite trivial to do so, and it would benefit all possible methods of
exposing that data (i.e. SNMP, or the proposed XML view, or
whatever...).

> How would everyone feel about changing the cachemgr (possibly breaking
> backwards compatibility) so that it can render better an high-level
> view of the dataspace, while leaving detailed views (possibly even
> more detailed than now) to snmp, xmlrpc and/or structured (but
> user-unfriendly) html / plaintext displays?

I don't see much point in trying to add yet another way of structuring
this data, only added maintenance overhead.

That interface does not provide a dataspace, it provides a random
collection of reports. Trying to add meaningful structure to that data
is a waste of effort which should be spent on providing meaningful
access to the structured data we already have (the SNMP agent mib).