Re: Announcing branch: cachemgr-refactoring

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 11:50:11 +0200

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Henrik Nordstrom
<henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> On fre, 2008-07-04 at 10:24 +0200, Kinkie wrote:
>
>> First thing, whatI already mentioned on -dev.
>> cachemgr is over HTTP, might as well show that up. This is a very
>> simple task but it'll make life MUCH easier for external tools'
>> developers.
>
> Yes, and somewhing we all agreed on I think..

Yes.

>> That's another very interesting possibility, but I haven't really
>> thought of it. The data cachemgr displays are semi-structured but the
>> structures differ quie a lot between one view and the next. If a
>> common ground can be found, it'd be interesting to follow it.
>
> Just forget the existing cachemgr displays if looking for structure.
> Instead start from the SNMP data as Adrian said, and I also said earlier
> in the cachemgr discussion. Trying to convert the existing cachemgr
> displays into something more structured simply isn't worth the effort
> when there already is a well structured view of pretty much the same
> data in the SNMP interface.

I agree. Maybe even more structure and data can be shown than what's
in SNMP, and that's exactly the kind of things I'd like to think
about.

> The existing cachemgr interface is really only meant as a debug and
> diagnostics tool. Data collection is best done using SNMP.

> Enabling an XMLRPC view of the SNMP data is an interesting topic, and
> would enable a whole range of new tools access to the Squid performance
> counters and status indicators.
>
> If there is things missing in the SNMP MIB these should be added there,
> instead of trying to invent new structures for this data.

How would everyone feel about changing the cachemgr (possibly breaking
backwards compatibility) so that it can render better an high-level
view of the dataspace, while leaving detailed views (possibly even
more detailed than now) to snmp, xmlrpc and/or structured (but
user-unfriendly) html / plaintext displays?

--
   Kinkie